Monday, April 22, 2013

National Volunteer Week April 21-27, 2013

National Volunteer Week April 21-27, 2013

I have been meaning to write a post about how easy it is to volunteer. Well, this is the perfect week since it's National Volunteer Week.

If you don't have a lot of time even as little as 15 minutes a week or a month will make you feel better about yourself and help a cause. 

Since I am not a Rockefeller I like to volunteer by giving my time instead of money. When I was working full time outside the home I had $5 taken out of my check for a local charity but I still preferred to also donate time. Volunteering helps you feel good about yourself. It helps you remember no matter how bad you have it someone else has it worse. Such is the case with the saying "I was depressed that I had no shoes, until I met the man with no feet."
Volunteering also helps with depression or at least it has in my case. I am not the only one several case studies prove volunteering helps you feel good, increases self esteem, helps ease stress and depression.

So give me your excuses why you would like to volunteer but can't and I will say horsepucky.

I don't have the time. 

Have you heard about Goodsearch?
Goodsearch is a simple way to make a difference -- each time you search the web (though Yahoo!-powered Goodsearch), shop online (at the 2,800+ stores on Goodshop) or dine out (at 10,000 Gooddining restaurants), we'll make a donation to your favorite cause. We know you have limited time and money and we've created our products to make giving back easy. 
Goodsearch is a way to feel good--We all feel good when we do something to make the world better. Through using Goodsearch, you will feel great and feel celebrated each time you make a difference with your daily actions.*
Pick your favorite cause and every time you use Goodsearch your charity receives about a penny. So take Google out of your vocabulary and now use Goodsearch. Goodsearch has also come up with several other ways to make giving easy Goodshop, Gooddining, Goodgames, and Goodsurveys. 


I don't have transportation.

In addition to adding Goodsearch in your vocabulary a lot of charities have online or virtual volunteering. One example is www.Pointerrescue.org They are a National English Pointer Rescue. I wanted to help but couldn't foster or adopt a dog at the time (I have since done both foster and adopt.) I have had several volunteer positions for them thru the years and they are headquartered 6 states from me. I currently help screen applications for possible adoptive Pointer parents. All you need is a computer and a phone. When you help place a dog in a good home and out of a shelter you can't help but feel good. Several of PointerRescue.Org positions are virtual since it is a National Charity.
I suggest going to www.volunteermatch.org and search for Virtual Opportunities. 

Once you decided what you are most passionate about seniors, animals, children or the environment try and find a good match for volunteering. Like with anything the first charity you go with may not be a perfect fit but don't let that stop you from volunteering.
You may find you can volunteer locally once a month. My best advice is to start slow, research the charity, and don't put it off! Some charity out there needs you!

Today is Earth Day why not take a walk and pick up any litter you see on the way. :)

April is also Autism month. 
No matter what your passion you can find someway to volunteer and help out your favorite cause.



Other websites to note
http://www.brownielocks.com/april.html Fun site with Holidays by day, week and month


Edit 4/22/13 11:12 pm
I forgot to mention another way you can help in under 5 minutes a day 
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com Click daily to help feed pets in need
At the top of the page you can also click other different causes; Hunger, Breast Cancer, Veterans, Autism, Diabetes, Literacy, and Rainforest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment